An Apple a Day Keeps the Cardiologist Away!
No doubt about it, apples are a truly a miracle health food, especially for the heart. Apples contain a wealth of cholesterol-fighting compounds, most notably pectin, but also many antioxidants and dietary fiber. In addition to lowering cholesterol, they have been shown to reduce the risk of lung and prostate cancer, as well as these health benefits:
- The pectin fiber in apples helps diabetics maintain a steady blood sugar level.
- Apples are an excellent addition to any weight-loss plan. Low calorie and nutrient dense, they are a filling and portable sweet treat, ideal for curbing hunger pains.
- Apples are healthful for maintaining lung function and have even been shown to ameliorate asthma symptoms.
- Called “nature’s toothbrush,” apples work the gums and clean the teeth.
- The tannins in apples help to ward off urinary tract infections.
So follow that old adage and eat your apple a day!
Halloween Baked Apples
Healthy, perfect for the holiday and a great way to get your kids to eat fruit and fiber!
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 apple)
- 6 medium red apples (preferably McIntosh)
- Juice from ½ a lemon (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup pure maple syrup (dark amber grade A)
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 candy gummy worms
Preheat oven to 350°F. Core apples (use a tool you use to scoop melon balls) and place in water mixed with lemon juice while you mix additional ingredients. Mix syrup with raisins, walnuts and cinnamon. Fill apples with raisin mixture and place in a baking dish. Fill bottom of the dish with 1 cup of lemon water. Bake uncovered for 60 minutes until tender. Drizzle juice from bottom of dish over apples and serve hot. Top each apple with a worm.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 apple):
Calories: 251, Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 7 mg,
Carbohydrate: 50 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 40 g, Protein: 2 g
Lower your cholesterol in just 4 weeks!
Are you one out of millions who are struggling with high cholesterol?
AMonitor and lower your cholesterol level without statins in just 30 days. Download Dr. Janet's cholesterol down app, which will help you achieve your fitness goals and stay healthy.