Substitution — The Key To Eating And Living Well
Let’s face it; there are certain foods that should be eaten only on special occasions. An entire thick and meaty slab of barbequed ribs, a full-fat ice cream hot fudge Sunday dripping in real whipped cream, a plate of Chicken Kiev oozing real butter… Comfort foods yes, everyday foods, absolutely not. This is because these foods are simply too high in calories, bad fats and salt to foster good health—if eaten on a regular basis.
The key to eating well and living well is to save your favorite “red light foods” for special occasions and SUBSTITUTE healthier foods for your everyday splurges.
For example, if you love crème brulee (which packs in about 350 calories, 17 grams of saturated fat and 235 mg of cholesterol –thanks to the heavy cream and egg yolks– in a serving), try my oatmeal brulee instead (a serving contains 0 cholesterol and a mere 0.5 gram of saturated fat) plus a host of additional heart-healthy ingredients. Top with fat-free whipped cream and you have a delicious and nutritious substitute for the real thing.
IRISH OATMEAL BRULEE
- 1 cup Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 4 cup milk, soy
- 1 pinch salt, kosher
- 2 ea oranges, zested
- 1 ea stick, cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped bananas
- 2 tbsp toasted almonds
- 6 tbsp flaxseed, ground
- 4 tbsp sugar, raw granulated
- Cook oatmeal in soymilk with salt and ground flaxseed over medium heat for about 30 minutes with orange zest, and cinnamon stick.
- Meanwhile toast almonds either in oven or over medium heat in a skillet and set aside.
- When desired texture is achieved, remove cinnamon stick, fold in the bananas and divide the mixture into 4 heatproof ramekins.
- Sprinkle each ramekin with sugar and torch to melt the sugar for a brittle burnt sugar crust.
- Be creative in adding your own fruits fresh or dried, nuts and accompaniments.
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 180 mg
- Carbohydrate: 69 g
- Dietary Fiber: 12 g
- Sugars: 26 g
- Protein: 16
Lower your cholesterol in just 4 weeks!
Are you one out of millions who are struggling with high cholesterol?
AMonitor and lower your cholesterol level without statins in just 30 days. Download Dr. Janet's cholesterol down app, which will help you achieve your fitness goals and stay healthy.