Turkey Recipes For Healthy Happy Thanksgiving
Did you know that ninety-five percent of Americans surveyed by the National Turkey Federation eat turkey at Thanksgiving? Skinless, white meat turkey is a superb lean and light protein source, so here are some turkey tips::
Consider purchasing a fresh turkey from your grocery store. It’s defrosted and there is no added fat or sodium! (Fresh turkey should be firm to the touch.)
Plan on a half-pound serving per person.
- Roast your turkey at a minimum oven temp of 325 ºF. A whole turkey is done when the internal temp reaches 180 ºF.
- Leave the skin on while roasting, remove before serving.
- For added color and nutrition in your gravy, roast with added carrots, celery, onion and garlic. (Baste turkey but try to keep the opening of the oven door to a minimum.)
Turkey Recipe Lighter Gravy:
- Strain broth from roasting pan and pour into a shallow pan and freeze for a few minutes.
- Remove fat layer (fat rises to the top and can be removed with a kitchen spoon). You can also use a gravy fat separator cup available at most cooking supply stores.
- Bring 2 cups of strained and defatted broth to a boil.
- Dissolve 1 Tbsp corn starch in 2 Tbsp water and add slowly to broth.
- Bring back to a boil, remove from stove and serve hot.
Fresh herbs and extra virgin olive oil is all you need for a delicious turkey this Thanksgiving!
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
1. Combine parsley, thyme, rosemary, shallots and oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Season the cavity with salt and pepper and place peeled onion and pre-prepared stuffing in cavity (if desired).
3. Rub herb blend over entire turkey, place turkey breast side up and roast according to directions.
A HAPPY and HEALTHY Thanksgiving to all!
Lower your cholesterol in just 4 weeks!
Are you one out of millions who are struggling with high cholesterol?
AMonitor and lower your cholesterol level without statins in just 30 days. Download Dr. Janet's cholesterol down app, which will help you achieve your fitness goals and stay healthy.