Who says you can’t enjoy the scrumptious holiday goodies and still maintain some waist management?
Try these holiday makeover recipes and you will be taking one small step to a healthier and lighter new year.
Don’t forget to get EXERCISE in this coming week to balance out the inevitable extra calorie consumption.
Happy Holidays to All!
Snow-Dusted Mini Linzer Tart Cookies
A holiday favorite, these remade linzer tarts are festive, light and nutritious!
You will need:
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup Splenda sugar blend for baking
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, king powder and salt together.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then pour into a separate mixing bowl.
- Add Splenda and oil and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half and shape in two balls.
- Working with one ball at a time, roll dough on lightly floured surface until dough is approximately 1/8th inch thick.
- With a ~1 ½ inch round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can, placing them on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with second ball of dough.
- Place a thumbprint in the center of each circle.
- Bake both batches for 10-15 minutes and cool on a wire cake rack for 20 minutes.
- Spoon a dab of jam into each thumbprint impression and sprinkle the tops with confectioner’s sugar before serving.
NOTE: Keep dough as cold as possible for easier handling.
Yield: 25 cookies
Nutrition information (per cookie):
- Calories: 60
- Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 50mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 1g
Lower your cholesterol in just 4 weeks!
Are you one out of millions who are struggling with high cholesterol?
AMonitor and lower your cholesterol level without statins in just 30 days. Download Dr. Janet's cholesterol down app, which will help you achieve your fitness goals and stay healthy.