Who says you can’t enjoy the scrumptious holiday goodies and still maintain some waist management?
Try these holiday makeover recipes and you will be taking one small step to a healthier and lighter new year.
Don’t forget to get EXERCISE in this coming week to balance out the inevitable extra calorie consumption.
Happy Holidays to All!
Snow-Dusted Mini Linzer Tart Cookies
A holiday favorite, these remade linzer tarts are festive, light and nutritious!
You will need:
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup Splenda sugar blend for baking
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, king powder and salt together.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then pour into a separate mixing bowl.
- Add Splenda and oil and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half and shape in two balls.
- Working with one ball at a time, roll dough on lightly floured surface until dough is approximately 1/8th inch thick.
- With a ~1 ½ inch round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can, placing them on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with second ball of dough.
- Place a thumbprint in the center of each circle.
- Bake both batches for 10-15 minutes and cool on a wire cake rack for 20 minutes.
- Spoon a dab of jam into each thumbprint impression and sprinkle the tops with confectioner’s sugar before serving.
NOTE: Keep dough as cold as possible for easier handling.
Yield: 25 cookies
Nutrition information (per cookie):
- Calories: 60
- Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 50mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 1g