Mediterranean Recipes: Baba Ghanoush (Eggplant Dip)
Serve cold with Baked Whole-wheat Pita Chips.
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Using a fork, prick the eggplant in about 8 places.
Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until soft.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Cut eggplant in half, drain any liquid and scoop out the pulp into a blender or food processor.
Add the garlic, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, salt, and cayenne pepper.
Blend until smooth.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
NUTRITION IN A BOX
Per 1/4 cup:
- Calories: 77
- Fat: 6 g (0 g EPA, 0 g DHA, < 1 g ALA)
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 50 mg
- Carbohydrate: 6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3 g
- Sugars: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g
Excerpt from Prevent a Second Heart Attack