Low Calorie, Heart Healthy Benefits of Whole Grains
One of the easiest and the best ways to make your diet healthier is to start eating whole grains. Whole grains are rich source of fiber, antioxidants, proteins, and minerals, yet most Americans take less than one serving everyday. One reason for this lack of interest could be because whole grains are generally considered plain and tasteless.
However the fact is that whole grains can be delicious and healthier than their refined cousins. Whole grains consist of quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat flour, oats, buckwheat, barley, pop corn, whole rye, and millet.
Since whole grains are unrefined and contain all edible parts of the grain that include germ and bran, they are more nutritious than their refined counterparts. Some of the top benefits of whole grains are:
- Whole grains are good especially for your digestion.
- Whole grains are low in fat. Considering they are rich source of fiber, eating whole grain foods help in weight loss.
- People who eat whole grain foods such as quinoa or barley are less prone to developing Type 2 diabetes. Besides whole grains prevent heart disease.
It is recommended that people, no matter what your age or gender is, must take at least 3 servings of whole-grains per day. And here are some easy ways to incorporate whole grains in your diet:
Have whole grains for your breakfast. You can start the day with oatmeal or bran flakes that are healthy and help you feel full.
- Dump refined wheat bread. Rather make sandwiches with whole-grain bread or barley bread. Or you can also make whole wheat pita and whole-wheat tortillas.
- Replace refined wheat bread with whole-grain breads and white rice with brown rice. And always opt for whole-grain cereals and bagels.
- Popcorn makes for a delicious snack. They are light and healthy. Just make sure you don’t eat the popcorn smothered in fat.
- Instead of gorging on pastries or plain bagels, opt for whole-grain bagels and bran muffins that are low in fat.
- Use barley and wild rice in making soups.
These are some of the easiest ways to include whole grains in your diet. You can try various low calorie recipes of whole grains that are easy to prepare and taste yummy. Whole grains are heart healthy food that everyone must include in their daily diet to control cholesterol and blood pressure levels.