Eat like Popeye! Lower Your Blood Pressure with Spinach
Remember Popeye the sailor? How he used to flex his muscles after eating that green leafy powerfood? Popeye was right. Spinach is a nutritional powerhouse. It is packed with not just potassium but magnesium as well – the minerals that lower blood pressure. Here are some of the other reasons why you should make spinach a regular part of your diet.
- Aiming for losing those extra pounds? Eat spinach. It is low in calories and high in vitamins and dietary fiber that cures constipation, aids in digestion and limits overeating.
- Spinach is abundant in flavonoids with anti-cancer properties that protect body from free radicals and prevent against the occurrence of prostate cancer.
- Spinach is over loaded with nutrients with anti-inflammatory properties. It boasts of manganese, zinc, vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene that reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis, arthritis, asthma, and migraine headaches.
- Eating spinach is great for your vision. It is filled with carotenoids that protect your eyes against macular degeneration and eye cataract.
- Keep your brain healthy and young by eating lots of spinach. It is abundant in vitamin K that highly contributes to proper brain functioning and healthy nervous system.
- Besides the presence of vitamin K, magnesium and calcium in spinach strengthens the bones.
Spinach is low in calories, cholesterol free, brings blood pressure down and makes for a great heart healthy food. Besides, having spinach boosts your immunity and makes you stronger just like Popeye. So grab your can of this wonderful green veggie, gain strength and eat your way to great health.
To get the most benefit out of spinach, buy it organic. Prefer to buy the greenest looking spinach as it contains the maximum vitamin C. You can sauté up spinach with pine nuts, raisins and some olive oil. Or you can have it as a salad. Check out the nutritious recipe of spinach, apple and walnut salad. You can also blend spinach with other vegetables and have it as a juice or a smoothie.