10 Great Benefits of Eating Raisins
Feeling the urge to eat something sweet? Having a snack attack? How about reaching for a handful of raisins to satisfy that sweet tooth? Raisins are a great healthy substitute for candy or other kinds of “junk food.”
Raisins are made from dehydrated grapes; hence the nutrients become more concentrated in raisins. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of eating raisins:
- A small box of raisins contains 34 grams of carbohydrates which make them a good source of instant energy.
- Raisins are very effective in promoting bowel health. Eating fiber-packed raisins on a regular basis can help keep you, well, regular!
- Eating raisins curbs the growth of harmful bacteria in the mouth and helps prevent cavities, gingivitis and tooth decay. If you have a sweet tooth, pop healthy raisins instead of teeth-damaging candy.
- Raisins contain a good amount of potassium and magnesium, two power minerals known to help lower blood pressure and reduce cholesterol.
- Raisins are a good source of calcium, the mineral that contributes to building and maintaining strong bones and protects against osteoporosis.
- Eating dried grapes helps prevent and treat arthritis and kidney stones.
- Raisins contain elements that have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that protects body against infection.
- The presence of polyphenolic phytonutrients in raisins benefit your vision. These powerful plant chemicals offer protection against macular degeneration, and cataracts.
- Raisins are a rich source of iron; a mineral that is essential for the production of hemoglobin in the body. People suffering from deficiency i.e. anemia can benefit from raisin’s high iron content.
- People who are underweight can benefit from eating raisins often to add healthy calories to the diet.
Raisins make for a quick and easy way to snack better. They are sweet, delicious and spectacularly healthy for your body. Next time you want a snack do your body a favor and reach for that little box of raisins.
Photo Courtesy: deviantart.com