The Perfect Mother’s Day Month Starts with a Healthy Breakfast
Sunday, May 8th is Mother’s Day! Show your love for mom by giving her the gift of health this May which means helping her (or YOU) to eat healthy and exercise. Why not start by cooking her up an unforgettably delicious and super healthy breakfast (and maybe even serve it to her in bed?) on Mother’s Day followed by a day of relaxation doing some of her favorite things. Here are some tips for making mom (or YOU) delicious heart-healthy breakfasts this Mother’s Day and every day this month of MAY:
- Include fresh strawberries. Strawberries are coming in season so be sure to set your mom’s tray ablaze with the Heart Healthy color red. For breakfast, strawberries can be added to muffins and cereals, served with pancakes added to fruit salads and yogurt or even dipped in dark chocolate and served with tea. Strawberries are packed with nutrition—loads of antioxidants (especially anthocyanins), vitamins, minerals and fiber and all this for a mere 46 calories per cup! Scientists have shown that women consuming more than 3 servings of anthocyanin-rich strawberries and blueberries weekly have a lower risk of heart attack than women who do not consume berries.
- Include a vegetable, a lean protein and healthy fat. Asparagus is at its seasonal best so why not add some to your perfect heart-healthy Mother’s Day feast? Try whipping up mom a healthy egg white (lean protein), asparagus and mushroom omelet—cooked in a touch of extra virgin olive oil (recipe below). This way you can give mom her vegetables, protein and healthy fat all in one dish. Serve with sliced sweet cherry tomatoes and its sheer nutrition perfection.
- Add a whole grain. Serve mom’s omelet with a slice of 100% whole grain (preferably low sodium) toast topped with some fig jam. Whole grains been linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and other health problems. Figs are sweet and delicious plus are a super healthy fruit—rich in fiber, bone—building calcium and iron.
- Don’t forget the fresh squeezed OJ. Oranges are a vitamin C bonanza. While it is always better to eat the fruit as opposed to the juice, on special occasions let mom splurge with a delicious and nutritious glass of fresh squeezed OJ.
- Coffee or tea. Coffee and tea are the new superfoods. Scientific evidence is stacking up showing that both coffee and tea have spectacular health benefits ranging from reduced risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke to protection from Alzheimer’s and even weight loss. Just be sure not to ruin a perfectly good health food with cream (saturated fat) and added sugars.
This May, experiment in the kitchen with healthy and nutritious breakfasts using Mother Nature’s bounty of spectacular spring produce. Be sure to start yours and mom’s days off right by following the 4 tips for eating healthy breakfasts outlined above. This simple morning routine will surely lead to a better, fitter and happier YOU!
Lower your cholesterol in just 4 weeks!
Are you one out of millions who are struggling with high cholesterol?
AMonitor and lower your cholesterol level without statins in just 30 days. Download Dr. Janet's cholesterol down app, which will help you achieve your fitness goals and stay healthy.